Skip to main content

Crochet Messy Bun/Ponytail hat pattern comparison


As usual, being a crochet addict, I have to try the latest craze going around. Right now that happens to be the Messy Bun/Pony tail hat. I see all of the many new patterns popping up by the day or by the hour it seems like. I am always weary starting a new pattern because I never know how the authors tension was or how the product will come out. Usually I am up against a time restraint and in a hurry so I tend to fall back to my most reliable hat patterns that I know are true to size and work every time. It seems that someone is always wanting me to make them something and always expecting it in an unreasonable amount of time and me being me I can't say no. That makes it hard to have time to test new patterns and step out of my comfort zone.

I have, over the holidays and during our recent snow storm, took the time to test some of the Messy bun patterns and have pictures of each one to hopefully take some of the guess work out of it for you, save you some precious time,  and help you to see what the different patterns look like and what happens with slight tweaks and variations.

First I started with the ever so popular Chunky Messy Bun Pony Tail Hat By Made With Twist. It seemed like everyone and there Momma was posting  her video and pics on Facebook and sending it to me in Messenger asking me if I could make it. Of Course I had to immediately buy it and try it.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/messy-bun-ponytail-hat
I found this pattern to work up quickly and be true to size. I usually have to go up a hook size on most patterns because I tend to crochet tightly but I did not with this pattern. The hat is very soft and and warm and worked well for sledding with my kids. For me it is a little more bulky that I would want to wear around on just an average day but again it was perfect for the snow.





























Next I tried adapting my tried and true Best Ever Crochet Hat/Beanie pattern  to be open at the top. To do that I simply started on row 3 around a hair elastic and proceeded as usual from there until I got to row 14. On Row 14 and 15 instead of doing a regular double crochet I alternated a Front Post Double Crochet (fpdc) and a Back post double crochet (bpdc) to give it a ribbed look. Shown in the pic below. I love the ease and simplcity of this pattern because it is my comfort zone and I can make them quickly but I longed for the cute designs and detail....
Best Ever Crochet Hat/Beanie Pattern by Knottz of Yarn.


Which lead me to adapting the Crochet Puff Stitch Pattern by Rescued Paw Designs. I love the look of the puff stitch and already had this pattern in my Pinterest list of "one day" patterns. To Adapt this pattern I did row one as single crochets around the hair elastic and proceeded with the pattern as usual from there until I got to the end. At the end instead of doing a row of single crochet I did 3 rows of Double crochet alternating between the FPDC and BPDC to make ribbed look. With the pattern I did have to move up a hook size to a "K". I love the look of the finished hat and will definitely be making this one again!



Next in line was the Oh SO CUTE Mommy and Me Messy Bun Hats. I think the cluster V Stitch looks so good, I just had to try it! And Boy am I glad I did! So far I think it is my Favorite. I know you cant really see the detail to well in this pic,  especially on the black one, but trust me it is awesome. Better yet try making one your self and let me know what you think! I did end up going up to a "J" hook on this pattern and found that I could even go up to a "k" for an Adult size. In the first pic with the beige hats I used the child size pattern and a "K" hook on the one on the left and a "J" hook for the one on the right. It turned out a perfect child size and an adult size with is perfect because it was a matching set for a Mom and Daughter.   Next I plan to try this one with Stripes, like in the original pattern, or in variegated yarn. 



I usually have tons of worsted wight yarn on hand but not a lot of Chunky yarn so I decided to try the Messy Bun Pony Tail hat by Made with a Twist in regular yarn to see how it turned out. I actually ended up kind of combing two patterns.. I used the stitch count on the Best Ever Crochet Hat but used the design of the Made with a twist pattern except I started at the top with the hair elastic and worked my way down and for the last 2 rows I did the FPDC /BPDC instead of the single crochet ribs that are attached separately in the first pattern. I personally don't like making the single crochet ribs and attaching them. I think the Alternating FPDC and BPDC look just as good and are way less time consuming. Which do you prefer?  
The stitch detail is not as defined in the worsted weight yarn as it is in the chunky yarn but I still like the out come... 




I know all of that last paragraph probably sound really confusing to anyone that has not read these patterns or is familiar with reading patterns but for you that are... Was it helpful? Did it give you some ideas of how to tweak and adapt patterns to make them your own?

Please share any questions you may have or your favorite messy bun patterns or combo of patterns... 

Now on to my next project...Crochet socks... Will be sure to post pics of my progress soon..







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crochet plastic bag holder w/ free pattern

I have recently become hooked on making Crochet shopping bag holders. I think most us us have a drawer or a cabinet full of those plastic shopping bags. I would get so aggravated when I open my cabinet and bags start to fall out. So I got to thinking I have ton or yarn why not make something to contain all of these bags. Then I set out to  Pinterest on a mission to find a pattern to make my own. my favorite that I have found so far is by  crochet it creations . I followed the pattern until the end where decided to make it all one piece instead of making the top separate an sewing it on. I did the last row in Triple Crochet an made a chain of around 60 and threaded it through the top like a draw string an then joined it to the beginning to make a loop to hang it with. Find pattern  here I as able to get 3 total out of one skein of Super Saver Ombre. Only 2 were pictured because someone wanted the first one as soon as I finished it! This one is made from that Walmart  Mainsta

Ninja Turtle Crochet pattern

It has been awhile since my last post and I think I am well over due for a FREE PATTERN!!  In 2013 by far hands down my most popular hat was the "Ninja Turtle". I couldn't make them fast enough! It seemed that everyone wanted one and in every size from newborn to adult. I used my favorite basic hat pattern that is my go to foundation for most all of my hats. If you don't have a favorite hat pattern you can find some really great ones on Etsy. The one I use is a simple double crochet beanie hat pattern. Now for the fun pat.... How do I make go from a basic beanie to a Ninja Turtle? Well it is actually quite simple... First I make the first few rows of the hat in a kinda sage green (like a turtle) then I put a strip of about 4 rows in what ever color the customer wanted depending on which Turtle they wanted it to be. For example I would use red, blue, orange, or purple. After completing the 4 color rows (that make the "eye mask") I do 4 more rows of green.

Best Ever Crochet Hat/Beanie Pattern!!

After many request for a hat pattern I decided to come up with my "favorite" which is a combination or patterns I have used over the years and taken my favorite parts from to make "the best ever crochet hat pattern"!! With every pattern I ever tried it seemed that each hat was to short, too long, too big, to small... blah blah blah... For years I have been making beanie hats and adding faces to them and such for gifts, photo props, and everything in-between. After spending money on many patterns and much trial and error I finally came up with the perfect pattern. I have been making it from memory forever, it seems like, but I figured with so many request I should try to put it on paper and share it with everyone. So here goes... I will start with a toddler /small child size since that seems to be the most popular.  With this pattern I used an "I" hook and Worsted Weight yarn. Hobby Lobby's "I Love this Yarn" and Redheart's "With